Who else is obsessed with Halo Top ice cream? I know I can’t be the only one. I discovered Halo Top a few months ago from a fellow food blogger and definitely thought it was too good to be true, because when has low-cal ice cream ever actually tasted good?! However, I’ve yet to be let down by Halo Top. Each pint is under 300 calories (for a whole pint!), is all natural, low in sugar and high in protein. I really don’t get how it’s possible, but I swear it actually tastes like real ice cream. And I’m not a diet dessert kind of gal. If I’m going to consume calories, I want them to be worth it. I’m not going to waste my cals on some sugar free bullsh*t of a dessert, because it’s just not worth it! I’d rather have the real thing. The problem with that is that I have a huge sweet tooth and crave something sweet after almost every meal. Like even after breakfast.. Eating dessert daily can be problematic, so I love keeping a pint (okay, or two) of Halo Top around and treating myself to a few spoonfuls after dinner without feeling too guilty. Orrrrrrr just eating ice cream for dinner because #adult.
So, when I heard about the new Halo Top flavors, you better believe I was more than excited. Pistachio? Cookie Dough? Smores? I have a one word response to that: yaaaaaasssssssss. So what did I do upon hearing the news? Drive straight to Kroger to investigate. Except, they were completely sold out of all the new flavors. My roommates and I even went to the help desk to ask if they had any in the back!! Luckily, they restocked the next day and we came home with 9 pints of ice cream! I’ve ranked all the new flavors for you below. I left out the Mocha Chip because I don’t like coffee – my biggest character flaw, I know – so I couldn’t weigh in on that one. I also haven’t been able to get my hands on Chocolate Almond Crunch yet, but have been checking in at Kroger and will be sure to report back as soon as I can try it!
- Pistachio: The real MVP of the new flavors. Pistachio is one of my favorite dessert flavors. I was impressed with Halo Top’s rendition, it is a true pistachio flavor and doesn’t taste artificial like many pistachio-flavored things can.
- Salted Caramel: I LOVE salted caramel anything. It’s the perfect salty-sweet combination and Halo Top’s rendition does not disappoint. The texture is silky smooth with ribbons of caramel intertwined.
- Black Cherry: I was surprised by how much I liked this one! A great balance of rich and sweet and there are little chewy bits of cherry in the ice cream.
- Oatmeal Cookie: A dark-horse favorite for sure, I thought an oatmeal cookie-flavored ice cream sounded kind of strange, but I ended up loving it! There are chunks of cookie generously portioned throughout the ice cream giving you a chewy treat!
- Strawberry: Can’t beat a good strawberry ice cream. Halo Top’s version is smooth and creamy with a rich strawberry taste.
- Peanut Butter Cup: This was another one I was surprised I liked so much. The peanut putter taste is rich and the texture of the ice cream is extra smooth. There are chocolatey almost caramel-like ribbons throughout the ice cream. Extra decadent and extra delicious.
- Cookie Dough: I was somewhat unimpressed by this one. The small cookie dough chunks are very sporadically placed throughout the ice cream, definitely not enough for me. Otherwise good flavor, but I demand more cookie dough!
- Cookies and Creme: This one was kind of strange to me, I swear it tasted like coffee! The oreo cookie specks are just that, specks, no chunks of cookie or anything like that. I’ve definitely had better cookies and creme before.
- Smores: Probably the biggest let down of the new flavors, I was less than impressed by Smores. There are tiny chocolate chips and small graham chunks throughout the ice cream, but they are minuscule. I didn’t get a rich chocolate taste or really any taste of marshmallow at all. I thought this one had a slight coffee taste too! Weird.
- Red Velvet: Meh, I’ve honestly never understood the obsession with red velvet. It doesn’t do much for me.
Have y’all tried the new flavors yet? Leave a comment with your favorite below!
Biscuits and blessings,