Anyone else out there obsessed with Kroger Deli’s Derby City chicken salad? For all y’all non-Kentuckians – it’s the best chicken salad EVER. The chicken is perfectly shredded and studded with grapes, celery and pecans creating the perfect sweet and savory combination. I’m not kidding when I say I could eat an entire one pound container in one sitting, which is dangerous because 1. mayonnaise and 2. it costs about $10 a pound.
I’ve spent the past few years trying to replicate this chicken salad at home and have come up with a #healthyish spin on the classic dish. I use plain, nonfat Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. When you add a little sugar, I swear you can barely tell the difference. I’m a Greek yogurt junkie so I don’t miss the mayo in this recipe, but if you can’t live without it, try using half-mayo and half-yogurt.
I highly suggest using roasted chicken for this recipe. I find that most chicken salad recipes suggest boiling the chicken, or even using canned chicken (ew!). To each his own, but I think you derive the best flavor by roasting your chicken. This would be a great use for leftover rotisserie chicken!
When testing out this recipe, I had a hard time getting the consistency right. Dicing the chicken doesn’t work and I’ve never been able to shred chicken with a fork. Then I came across a tip to use your stand mixer to shred chicken – amazing! Using a mixer also guarantees every piece of chicken is coated in yogurt and evenly incorporates all your grapes and other toppings. So, bust out that mixer and give this recipe a try. You can serve it on a bed of lettuce for a carbless meal, eat it with crackers or add it to whole wheat toast for a guilt-free lunch. Not gonna lie, I often eat it straight out of the container with a fork… sometimes for breakfast!
- 1/2 pound roasted chicken breast
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt*
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup red grapes, diced
- ¼ medium white onion, minced
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cut chicken breast into large chunks and add to stand mixer. Using paddle attachment, turn mixer on low and mix until chicken is shredded (approximately 1-2 minutes).
- Add Greek yogurt, diced celery, diced grapes, minced onion, chopped pecans, sugar, salt and lemon juice to mixer and mix at low speed until Greek yogurt coats all ingredients and grapes/celery/pecans are evenly incorporated.
- The chicken salad tastes best if you let it sit in the fridge overnight before serving to let the flavors meld together. This is a great recipe to make on Sunday night and eat throughout the work week or make ahead the next time you're entertaining for brunch!
- *Alternatively, you could use 1/4 cup Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup mayonnaise