It’s finally starting to feel like summer and I am not mad about it! One of my favorite things about summer is tomatoes, which means caprese salad! The combination of fresh, juicy tomatoes (bonus points if they’re heirloom), creamy mozzarella cheese, rich olive oil, tangy balsamic and basil is probably my favorite flavor combination of all time. As soon as the weather gets warm I start to crave it, but good tomatoes aren’t out for at least a few more weeks!
To satisfy my caprese craving a few weeks back, I whipped up these crostini combining my favorite flavors into a one bite snack! They’re super easy to put together and make a great appetizer. I used pesto sauce instead of fresh basil for a little extra flavor. I love making fresh pesto, but to be completelyyyy honest, I think pesto in a jar is almost as good and it’s so dang easy; so you do what’s best for you 😉 I also decided to make a few crostini with prosciutto, because mozzarella + prosciutto is probably my second favorite flavor combination, and not everyone likes tomatoes (shocking, I know!) Check out the recipe below!
- 1 baguette
- 1 jar pesto
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices prosciutto, cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a small saucepan heat olive oil over medium low heat, add tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let tomatoes cook for 15-20 minutes until blistered, stirring every few minutes.
- Slice baguette into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- Spread thin layer of pesto on crostini and place on baking sheet
- Tear mozzarella into pieces slightly smaller than your crostini and place on top
- Bake crostini for 8-10 minutes until mozzarella is melted
- Top half of crostini with cherry tomatoes and half with prosciutto slices
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Right now it’s 11:53pm on a Tuesday night, I ate a salad for dinner and now I’m laying in bed drooling over these photos craving allll the cheese. Might have to make these babies this weekend to satisfy the craving! Are y’all caprese lovers too? Tell me your favorite summer flavors – I’d love to know!
Biscuits & blessings,