Who else loves fruit pizza? My friends and I used to make it all the time in highschool and college. You take sugar cookie dough and spread it out on a pizza pan to create one huge cookie and then frost it with cream cheese icing and top with fruit.. hence fruit pizza! It’s delish and a fun summer dessert. I wanted to fancy it up a bit, so I created a gluten-free version using an almond meal crust and mascarpone-cream cheese frosting.
This recipe came together pretty easily and could be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge before serving. You can get creative with the fruits – I used strawberries and blueberries this time, but any berry works well and I love adding kiwi too! You could even top with some slivered almonds to complement the crust. I love this recipe for summer entertaining because not only is it tasty, but also bright and colorful. You can even make a flag design out of your fruit for Memorial Day or Fourth of July cookouts! Check out the recipe below.
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8oz mascarpone cheese
- 4oz Neufchatel or cream cheese of choice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Strawberries and blueberries or fruit toppings of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine almond meal, sugar, melted butter, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined forming a crumbly mixture.
- Add mixture to a 9in greased tart pan. Using fingers press down until crust covers the entire tart pan in an even layer.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until edges start to brown.
- Make your frosting. Add mascarpone, cream cheese and almond extract to a stand mixer (or you can use a hand mixer) with the paddle attachment. Mix briefly to combine.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing on medium to high speed until fully combined.
- After crust has completely cooled, frost evenly with mascarpone mixture.
- Top with desired fruit - have fun and make pretty designs!
- Serve immediately or store in fridge until you are ready to enjoy.
Yum! What are your Memorial Day weekend plans? I’m going to visit the summer camp I grew up going to with some friends and I’m so excited. We haven’t been back in years and it will be so sweet to revisit old memories. We’re even staying in a cabin! I’ll probably hit the pool too and cookout at my parents. Definitely plan on using this recipe! Enjoy your long weekend whatever you’re up to!
Biscuits & blessings,