Happy Thursday, friends! Sharing a relatively easy and healthy recipe with y’all today. I’m a huge Asian food lover.. Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, sushi.. you name it. Lexington has a pretty hoppin’ food scene, but I will say we lack somewhat in the Asian food category. So, to satiate my frequent Asian cravings, I often cook pad thai or a stir fry for dinner at home.
First of all, I love a good stir fry because they’re relatively easy and can be adapted to fit the produce you have at home. I’ll stir fry whatever veggies I have on hand, throw them over rice or noodles and call it dinner! One of my favorite things to add to a stir fry that’s a bit nontraditional is kale! Because #healthkween – it’s a great way to sneak greens into your meal and I also love the way kale wilts then crisps up when you pan fry it.
I also prefer making my own Asian dishes at home so that you can control how much oil (fat) and salt is added. I cook my veggies in a limited amount of olive and sesame oil, which are healthier fats. I also use fish sauce instead of soy sauce, because you get more flavor with less and it has a little less sodium. For this recipe I used brown rice noodles to keep it gluten free. Just make sure your fish sauce is certified gluten free as well, if that’s your sort of thing. This dish also makes great leftovers! Not gonna lie, I may have made some for dinner on Sunday and been eating the leftovers for breakfast all week… hey, it’s better than a donut – right?!? Anyhoo.. check out the recipe below!
- 1 8oz package vermicelli rice noodles
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (gluten free if desired)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/4 white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut into 1/3 inch strips
- 1 head broccoli florets
- 1 cup peppers, diced (I used 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, but your choice!)
- small bunch kale, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Fresh lime
- 1/4 cup peanuts, crushed
- salt and pepper
- Heat nonstick pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Beat eggs and season with salt and pepper. Pour in pan and let cook until set like an omelette. Flip and cook another 1-2 minutes until set. Set omelette aside.
- Cook rice noodles according to package and set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar and sriracha over medium-low heat. Cook 4-5 minutes until bubbling. Turn to low and let simmer for 2-3 minutes then set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a wok over medium low heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium high and add carrots, peppers, broccoli and sesame oil and stir fry for 5-7 minutes until veggies have softened.
- Add kale and stir fry for 2-3 minutes until wilted.
- Add rice noodles and reserved sauce to pan and stir fry 1-2 minutes.
- Slice omelette into 1/4 inch strips. Add to stir fry.
- Garnish with fresh lime juice and crushed peanuts and serve!
Hope y’all enjoy! Would love to hear your thoughts/suggestions/hopes & dreams! Feel free to drop me a line in the comments below 🙂
Biscuits & blessings,